Have you received attachment files, and you did not know what to do with it? Just like regular digital folders, you can easily open a ZIP file on any computer or operating system. But you need more than only a simple double click to utilize the files inside it.
Here are the ways to open a ZIP file on Mac, a Windows PC, iPhone, and Android devices.
What is a ZIP File?
A ZIP file is a sort of file format which contains compressed folders and files. It’s treated as one file transmitted or when being transferred from one digital storage space to another. These files have the file extension”.zip” at the end of the name.
Most operating systems have built-in applications that could produce and open ZIP files. However, there is also third-party software you may use, for example as WinZip, 7zip, and WinRAR, which can also do exactly the same.
Open Zip File on Windows 10
It is simple to open a ZIP file using the built-in Windows Compressed Folder if you’re using a PC at home. To open a ZIP file with this Windows 10 attribute follow the steps below:
- Find the ZIP file that you want to start. If you downloaded the ZIP file from the net or as an email attachment, then you might find it from the Downloads folder on your System Drive.
- Right-click about the ZIP file and choose”Extract All…” as soon as you select”Extract All,” you will get a new pop-up menu.
- In the pop-up menu, then pick a location to extract the files. If you’d like your documents to be extracted in another location, click”Browse” and choose your destination at the pop-up window.
- As soon as you’ve chosen a destination folder, then click”OK.”
Note: make certain to check”Show extracted files when full” so that you can quickly locate the unzipped files once it’s opened and pulled.
- Eventually, click”Extract” in the pop-up menu. The built-in software will begin extracting the files from inside the ZIP folder.
- When the extraction is complete, a window will automatically pop up, displaying all of the files in the ZIP file.
Open Zip File on Mac OS
In case you’ve got a Mac, you can easily unzip or extract files from a ZIP file with Mac’s Archive Utility tool. Here’s how to open a ZIP file
- Locate the ZIP file you need to start . Check the Downloads folder where you saved the ZIP file after installing it, if you’re not sure.
- Double-click the ZIP file. This will automatically begin the file extraction, which might take a couple of seconds to a few minutes, based on the quantity and size of these files being extracted.
- After the extraction is complete, a window will pop up to show folders or the files. If no window opens after the extraction is complete, simply find the folder to display the files.
Other Articles: How to Become a Successful Property Appraiser, How to Fix Bluestacks Download Pending Error
Open Zip file on Android
For Android telephones, you will have to download and install a zip file opener, like the Files program from Google Play Store, to extract files from a ZIP file. The program comes pre-installed on Android mobiles. To check if you have the app, tap the Apps button, which looks like a square of nine or four dots on your home screen.
- Open the Files app. You may need to provide the app access to photos, press, and files, if you’re going during the initial set up. Click Let to accomplish that.
- Click Browse at the bottom of your display.
- Locate the ZIP file you want to extract. When you’ve downloaded as an attachment in an email, you may find it from the”Download” folder.
- Tap the file you want to start and then tap . This will open a listing of the files from the ZIP folder.
- Eventually, tap Done. You are able to access any of the files by tapping”All” at the top of your display and then clicking the down arrow next to the right of a file. Then tap”Open with” and choose an application.
Open Zip File on iOS
Much like using Mac computers, iPhones and Apple devices have a default feature that allows you to see your ZIP files. But to extract workable documents in the ZIP file on your mobile device, you need to install an uninstaller program such as iZip in the App Store. Like the Documents app for Android, iZip is a free program to worry about subscription costs or penalties.
- Install, install, and open the iZip app.
- Then tap Files at the top of your screen. This will only work after you have downloaded the ZIP file into your iPhone.
- Locate the ZIP file that you want to extract files from. Check for the ZIP file within your Documents program, When you have downloaded the file from a site or an email.
- Notice: If you don’t view your ZIP file in Files, return to your ZIP file and choose the”send to” button. Then tap”More” and choose”Copy to iZip.”
- Tap the ZIP file that you would like to extract. Then, tap and hold to open a menu.
- Eventually, tap OK in the pop-up. This will automatically unzip (or extract) all of the files in the ZIP folder. Depending on the size, this may require a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
- As soon as you have extracted all of the files and folders, they can be viewed by you through the iZip app. If you would like to open a document with a particular program, tap the”Open In” button at the bottom of your display.
Now that you understand how to start a ZIP file on Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android, check out our article on how to zip a file or produce zip files. If you have questions, contact our team and let us know how we can help.